Your home’s roof is supposed to last anywhere from 15 to 50 years, depending on the type of roofing material used. While it does come with an extensive lifespan, that does not mean it should sit for 15 years without timely checks. Professional inspections can help you identify potential issues and give you the opportunity to correct those issues before they result in a premature roof replacement.
Why Inspect Your Roof?
You should inspect your roof annually or at least bi-annually to make sure there are no leaks, cracks, broken shingles, warping, etc. that can affect the integrity of your structure. If, however, there have been any extreme weather events, such as heavy hail or high windstorms, you should inspect immediately after the storm has cleared. Inspecting your roof can uncover signs of damage and protect your home’s interior from water damage as well. Frequent snowstorms on the winter also may cause some damage to your roof. Even though you may not be able to inspect the roof right away, you should plan to do it as soon as the snow has melted and the weather is conducive enough for a professional to get up there and take a close look.
What Should You Look for before Calling for Roof Repair in Edmonton?
When performing your annual inspection, there are a few potential problems you need to be on the lookout for. If you notice any of these potential problems, contact Edmonton roofers right away for repairs. These issues may include:
- Any cracked caulking or a rust spot visible around the roof’s flashing.
- Look for any shingles that are curling, blistering or buckling; this indicates that they have been compromised and the problematic shingles should be replaced.
- Missing or broken shingles.
- Cracked or worn out rubber boots located around ventilation pipes.
- Signs of dry rot or warping on wooden shakes or shingles. If you notice any signs of mildew or dry rot, contact a company for roof repair in Edmonton right away. Once the dry rot spreads to more than one-third of your roof, you may need to replace the entire roof.
- For a metal roof, look for signs of pitting, rusting or corrosion. Any open seams or joints should be repaired immediately to prevent leakage.
- Inspect slate, clay and cement shingles for signs of cracks, which are common following heavy ice storms.
Call in the Professionals for Roof Repair in Edmonton
While you may be tempted to get on your own roof for an inspection, it is highly recommended that you should contact professional roofing companies in Edmonton to do the inspection for you. A roofing contractor can perform a thorough inspection and identify any potential issues before they become costly repairs or replacement expenses.
If there are signs of damage, have the roof repaired by a professional immediately. Allowing broken shingles, cracks and inadequate caulking to remain in place could result in water damage in your attic, pest intrusion and significantly decrease the lifespan of your roof.
A. Clark Roofing & Siding can assist you with your inspection and roof repairs if necessary. Whether you need an annual inspection or roof repairs following a storm, we have over 60 years of experience. Contact us at 780-465-7571 or fill out an online contact form for a no-obligation estimate today.