Installing a new roof on your home is a significant upfront investment, but a necessary one if your current roof is worn beyond repair. While roofing errors do happen, there are ways to avoid them just by understanding what they are. Roofing projects that have shoddy workmanship will lead to higher costs in the long run because you may end up repairing your roof more frequently. Worst case scenario, you may have to tear it all off and start over once again. Of course, you want to do without the unnecessary expense if that situation were to come upon you.
What Are the Common Roofing Errors?
- Incorrect Starter Shingles – This is often seen with shoddy roofing companies in Edmonton and do-it-yourself enthusiasts. It is imperative that starter sections of shingles are placed down around the eaves. If they are not installed, water can get into the sheathing under the bottom of the shingles.
- Sloping Errors – The slope and pitch of a roof determines what type of roofing materials are needed, otherwise the home is at risk for water intrusion. For example, when installing asphalt shingles, you need a slope with a minimum of four units of rise per 12 units of run.
- Missing Drip Edge – Incorrect or lack of a drip edge causes premature damage and even openings for animals and pests into the home. The entire perimeter of the roof should have a metal drip edge to avoid this.
- Incorrect Nailing – Reputable Edmonton roofers know how to properly nail and fasten shingles. When the improper number of fasteners is used or they are placed incorrectly on the shingle, it can lead to catastrophic roof failures and significant water damage.
- Lack of Ice Dam Planning – With the colder climate, Edmonton roofing contractors should plan for ice dams that may form along the roofline in the winter. A quality installer will prevent this by installing an under layer in the roof. By doing so, you will have an extra layer of protection from melting ice.
To avoid costly repairs or replacements down the road, you need to hire the right roofing contractor from the start. A. Clark Roofing & Siding Lp. has over 60 years of experience installing, maintaining and repairing rooftops in the Edmonton area. We can help you avoid costly roofing mistakes and ensure you get the best return on investment.
Call us today to request an estimate for your new roof or to schedule roof repairs in Edmonton with our skilled contractors.